Daydream Island Resort and Spa has made a preliminary assessment of the damage to the resort and its surrounds following yesterday’s extreme wind gusts and heavy rainfall from Cyclone Debbie. Conditions outside have not yet allowed a full appraisal of the extent of that damage.
The resort advises that every guest has been accounted for and is safe, as are all resort staff. The resort’s priority is the ongoing safety of on-island guests and staff who will need to be taken off island as soon as practical.
Daydream Island is endeavouring to contact all guests arriving on Daydream in the near future. All guests due to arrive on Daydream Island until Friday 31 March are urged to contact the Daydream Island reservations team on 1800 075 040 or by email [email protected] to get the latest update on their booking.
Initially, it appears that the resort has sustained the following damage:
- Extensive damage to vegetation across the island with many uprooted trees
- Significant damage to the resort’s jetty and pontoons
- The Rejuvenation Spa roof has been lifted with the premises suffering water damage
- General water damage to the main atrium and accommodation wings from the force of the driving rain
- A boardwalk section has lifted away
- Two of the three iconic Mermaid statues have been swept away
Further updates on Daydream Island will be made as soon as possible.