Is it a surprise to find the Sydney Opera House earning top spot on the 2017 Travellers’ Choice awards for Landmarks in Australia? As landmarks go, it is synonymous around the world with Australia and, in particular, Sydney, and is accompanied at #2 spot by the coathanger – Sydney Harbour Bridge.
What is surprising to TM is that Uluru didn’t make the Top Ten.
Globally, Cambodia’s Angkor Wat took out the honours, in a top ten that includes the Great Wall of China, the Taj Mahal and Machu Picchu.
Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for landmarks worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period. The awards honour 706 landmarks in 82 countries.
Top 10 Landmarks in Australia
- Sydney Opera House – Sydney
- Sydney Harbour Bridge – Sydney, NSW
- Australian War Memorial – Canberra, ACT
- Shrine of Remembrance – Melbourne, VIC
- Queen Victoria Building (QVB) – Sydney, NSW
- Block Arcade – Melbourne, VIC
- Port Arthur Historic Site – Port Arthur, TAS
- Fremantle Prison – Fremantle, WA
- Parliament House – Canberra, ACT
- Cape Byron Lighthouse – Byron Bay, NSW
Top 10 Landmarks in the World
- Angkor Wat – Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Sheikh Zayed Mosque – Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Mezquita Cathedral de Cordoba – Cordoba, Spain
- St. Peter’s Basilica – Vatican City, Italy
- Taj Mahal – Agra, India
- Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood – St. Petersburg, Russia
- Great Wall at Mutianyu – Beijing, China
- Machu Picchu – Machu Picchu, Peru
- Plaza de Espana – Seville, Spain
- Duomo di Milano – Milan, Italy
CLICK HERE for the complete list of the 2017 Travellers’ Choice Landmarks winners