Melburnians and visitors to the southern city, during the rest of the month and first two weeks of March, won’t want to miss the opportunity to experience The Taste of Japan Yummy Fun Truck, a Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO) initiative that is bringing a special Japan-inspired icy treat to Melbourne streets!
To celebrate the launch of direct Qantas flights from Melbourne to Tokyo Narita, and working with the geniuses at Gelato Messina, JNTO has created a part ice cream truck, part game show experience that lets punters sample yummy Japan-inspired free ice cream, and gives them the chance to win one of five amazing holidays for two people to Japan, courtesy of Qantas. To win, participants have to take part in a Japanese-inspired game show and try their luck at the Yummy Fun Truck vending machine.
Last year, JNTO asked fans to share their experiences, memories and stories from Japan through a social media and radio campaign. Gelato Messina used these insights to develop eight amazing and unusual flavour combinations, and each weekend during the campaign the Taste of Japan Yummy Fun Truck will have four different flavours on offer.
Taste of Japan Yummy Fun Truck Flavours
- Go ahead Make My Dai Dai – Satsuma mandarin curd gelato with dai dai and strawberry citrus gel
- Yam Bam Thank You Ma’am – Banana and Koji gelato with sweet potato ganache
- Saké Slinger – Saké and green apple sorbet
- Wasa-Berri – Strawberry and wasabi sorbet
- Samurai Cheesecake – Umeboshi gelato, plum puree and baked Japanese cheesecake
- Matcha Mistachio – Matcha gelato with pistachio milk chocolate fudge
- Yummi Umami – Caramel miso gelato with chewy caramel
- Balmi Hanami – Cherry blossom gelato with lychee puree
JNTO Sydney office executive director Mariko Tatsumi said: “We wanted to creatively inspire people to experience Japan for themselves, going beyond a straight advertising campaign. Our desire is to surprise and delight audiences with a taste of Japan.
“Japan is a cultural playground; its eclectic experiences and mouth-watering flavours tell an incredible story. We can’t wait to see the public reaction to the Taste of Japan Yummy Fun Truck, which will be a guaranteed highly entertaining and memorable experience.”
The Taste of Japan Yummy Fun Truck will visit multiple locations in Melbourne starting at Southern Cross Station on Sunday 19 February and visiting different hotspots every weekend until Saturday 11 and Sunday 12 March.
Taste of Japan Yummy Fun Truck Dates and Locations
- Sunday 19th February: Southern Cross Station
- Saturday 25th February: Urban Amphitheatre Federation Square
- Sunday 26th February: Southern Cross Station
- Saturday 4th March: St Kilda Foreshore
- Sunday 5th March: St Kilda Foreshore
- Saturday 11th March: Queensbridge Square
- Sunday 12th March: Queensbridge Square