Australian-owned, Grasshopper Adventures, who started taking Australians to Laos and Cambodia on bicycles 15 years ago, has launched new bike, hike and kayak multi-active tours in Tasmania and Queensland.
The massive disruption and change brought about by the current halt to international tourism was the impetus for the company to finally make the jump and release the first of the new tours.
“To really experience the natural environment in a meaningful way, we had to go beyond biking,” said Grasshopper owner & chief, Adam Platt-Hepworth, who grew up in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. “We also regard it as crucial to avoid lots of vehicle time and packing/unpacking. The tours are designed so that you spend maximum time outdoors, in nature and with like-minded people.”
Some of the experiences on offer include:
1. Riding through the rustic landscape of the Brisbane Valley and hanging out in a tiny country pub for an evening
2. Hiking the trails of the Bunya Mountains and learning about aboriginal corroborees that took place there, centred around the sacred tree by the same name
3. Kayaking the Noosa Everglades
4. Biking the beautiful northeast Tasmanian countryside then hiking the coast at Freycinet
5. Kayaking the dramatic coast of the Tasman Peninsula in the sheltered waters of Fortescue Bay
The tours feature visits to wineries, artisan’s studios and local farms, with accommodations that include small-scale, family owned properties.
“We learned this from our work in Asia,” says Adam. “You need to ensure that the conduct of tours benefits and works in harmony with local communities in order to earn the legitimacy and authenticity that travelers expect”.
Grasshopper Adventures also runs tours in the United States, Australia, Japan, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Taiwan, Bhutan, Cambodia, India, Laos, Mongolia, Myanmar, China and Uzbekistan. Tours range from 5 to 14 day long escapes. Grasshopper Adventures’ Australia collection is now on sale, with scheduled dates from the Australian spring and well into 2021 and beyond.
For more information email [email protected]